[rspec-users] Cucumber + Webrat + Selenium + ActionMailer

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:21:53 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:

> Well, in this case the ARMailer is an arguably better alternative than
> waiting on an SMTP connection for ActionMailer in production settings.
>  ARMailer was not created to solve testing woes.. it was created it solve
> production woes. :)  The fact that it helps in testing is just a side
> effect.

Oh, sure.  I wasn't trying to be critical against ARMailer itself; I
do think that e-mail is the sort of side process that ought to be
brought out of the request critical path one way or another.  But
that's unrelated here.  It just seems like the sort of process change
that might be overkill for 'I upgraded my gems and then my testing
toolchain broke.'  Testability may be a factor in initial tool
selection, but in this case the tool *was* testable until the tests
were broken by an unrelated change.  Once a production process is in
place, I think changes to it should be driven by business
requirements.

I just had a sympathetic twitch for the original poster.  I could be
on some other forum, asking about agility training for my dog or
something, and somebody will say "See, if you had a cat, you wouldn't
have that problem."

Yeah, maybe, but the fact that my dog is a dog wasn't really the problem.

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)