[rspec-users] validate_presence_of

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 18 22:02:29 EST 2009

On 19/02/2009, at 13:02 , Zach Dennis wrote:

> I have never seen or heard of anyone who writes a spec (developer
> level RSpec spec), but not the code and then hands it over to someone
> else and demands that that person implements it.

The fun begins when you can point out two or three conflicting
requirements on the first page, such as "end date should not be null"
right next to, "a version with no end date is current for all dates
after the start date."

Then I sat the guy down and introduced him to autotest, commited the
specification to version control, removed all but the first three
entries and showed how to build from small pieces.

So truthfully speaking, I've not yet worked in an environment where
RSpec was used to specify a design up front. And I certainly won't be
introducing new managers to RSpec before introducing them to unit
testing, then testing driven development, and then behaviour driven
development. I prefer my feet intact and still attached to my legs!

Alex