[rspec-users] validate_presence_of

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:02:22 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> On 19/02/2009, at 11:39 , Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> What's the point in testing validates_presence_of for a model? It's
>> already tested in the framework, and so readable that a quick glance on
>> the model says it all.
>
> Some people want the spec to stand as a contract, so you can then hand the
> spec over to the proverbial trained monkeys and have them write all the
> necessary code from scratch exactly the way you want it written.

I have never seen or heard of anyone who writes a spec (developer
level RSpec spec), but not the code and then hands it over to someone
else and demands that that person implements it. If you do or have
could you share, I'm interested in hearing about that experience.

> These are not people I enjoy working with, so I play loose with the specs
> and only spec stuff that matters to me at the time, code that little bit,
> and get on with the next terribly pressing task.
>
> Alex

Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com
http://www.mutuallyhuman.com