[rspec-users] [ANN] Merb Mind Maps - a tutorial on RSpec, GraphViz & a little Merb

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:18:04 EST 2009

Crispin & Gregory's new book, /Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and
Agile Teams/, has a kewt "mind map" at the start of each chapter. It inspired me
to find a way to use the "tag cloud" on a blog to draw a mind map of the posts,
linked by their tags in common.

The result is this little project:

It showcases...

  - graph theory - including Minimum Spanning Tree
  - GraphViz - to typeset the mind maps
  - Merb - a Rails-style website platform
  - Ruby - that annoying language that won't go away
  - RSpec - a Behavior Driven Development system
  - transparent PNG files with ImageMagick drop-shadows
  - assert{ 2.0 } - an assertion that reflects its expressions
  - assert{ xpath } - the latest version of my assert_xpath system
  - TDD for algorithms & graph theory!
  - fixture-dependencies - a Rails fixture clone with more features
  - GraphvizR - a lite Ruby gem that wraps GraphViz dot notation
  - and even a tiny bit of HAML!

The algorithm itself depends on none of those things, so any blog could use the
algorithm to present the mind-maps that are already latent within it!