[rspec-users] issues with the trunk of rspec-rails

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 23:40:15 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM, nathan at pivotalsf.com <nwilmes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 8:49 pm, David Chelimsky <dchelim... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Nathan Wilmes <nat... at pivotallabs.com> wrote:
>> > (3) with_tag is completely broken, as it tries to use the outer class as the
>> > subject of 'with_tag', rather than the have_tag matcher that it lives
>> > inside.
>> Was it working before and the upgrade broke existing specs? Or is this
>> a general observation?
> Yes, the upgrade broke existing specs.. it used to work fine as of
> rspec 1.1.4.
>  The breakage appears to have something to do with the 'subject'
> functionality.

Taking a closer look at this - before we introduced the implicit
subject, nested with_tag and without_tags were passing in the
ExampleGroup. The matcher was (and still is) ignoring that argument,
and using the HTML it got from the have_tag call.

There are also a number of specs in rspec's own suite that show that
this works correctly. These pass against rails 2.0.5, 2.1.2, 2.2.2,
2.3.0 and edge (as of earlier today).

Take a look at http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails/blob/333810bf6f062599bd39007a3fe32ba227a4b32a/spec/spec/rails/matchers/assert_select_spec.rb
and scroll down to 289, for example.

Can you show me an example of what's failing for you? Spec and subject
code, and the failure message?