[rspec-users] exemplary way to show a list is sorted?

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:58:01 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:52 AM, James Byrne <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Further, by its very nature, a tool is used by vastly more people than
> those that create the tool, otherwise it has little value.  The idea
> that a large number of people should be inconvenienced in order that a
> few people are not strikes me as rather selfish and frankly,
> unprofessional.

You are completely out of line even suggesting that David is selfish
or unprofessional.  Do you have any clue how many changes he HASN'T
made because it would break backwards compatibility?  How much effort
goes into sensibly deprecating stuff?  The work he does to keep RSpec
working with old versions of Rails (only very recently *announcing*
discontinued support of 1.2.x), as well as consistently keeping it
working with edge Rails even with all of its internal breakage.

The simple fact is that while RSpec owes a great deal to its community
as a whole, it would be nowhere near where it is today without David's
hard work.  Look at the friggin commit logs and the lighthouse
tickets.  Do you seriously have a problem with making his life a bit
easier?  Didn't think so.  And I can guarantee you that his real
motivation isn't selfish in the least - cleaning up the internals
makes it easier to understand and modify, allowing more users to
become contributors.

Here's a little tip that will save you THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF
DOLLARS in the future:
gem install rspec rspec-rails --version=1.1.12

Pat