[rspec-users] exemplary way to show a list is sorted?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 12:28:43 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:53 AM, James Byrne <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> David Chelimsky wrote:
>> I explained my position in another post in this thread, and I look
>> forward to your *respectful* responses to those thoughts.
> I regret if my initial observation was taken as anything other than
> that, an observation.  One might consider it the textual equivalent
> to a
> raised eyebrow, no more.  Being told to maintain my own fork of a
> project was not a response that I either expected or thought
> warranted.
> Notwithstanding the heat that this issue appears to have raised, I
> assure you that I bear no ill will towards any. I simply believe that
> changes which introduce breakage to previously working code should be
> avoided wherever possible.  This did not seem to me condescending,
> abrasive, or particularly controversial.  Evidently I am wrong.

Cool. Now we can talk. For the record, the thing that struck me as
patronizing was "You are not seriously ... simply to tidy up the
syntax" which makes assumptions about the underlying motivations and
positions your issues as more important than mine, or anybody else's
for that matter. There is a lot more to all of this than meets the
eye. RSpec is a tool, but it is also a community project, which means
it serves many masters and has to balance many forces.

As for the point you make about avoiding compatbility breaking
changes, I agree that that carries some weight, but it is not the only

One of the biggest problems rspec suffers as a community project is
barrier to entry for contributors based on a public perception that
rspec is bloated and difficult to understand. So I care about bloat,
and this particular issue is about that as much as it is about syntax.

I have more to add, but I'm typing on my phone and my other fingers
are beginning to get jealous of my thumbs. More later.