[rspec-users] how can this pass?

Sergio Bayona lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Feb 10 01:18:25 EST 2009

Mark Wilden wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Sergio Bayona <lists at ruby-forum.com>
> wrote:

> Dogpile!
>
> ///ark

Evidently I'm still not fully getting it... why would this not pass? I
mean I know why it doesn't pass. One instance is a mock object and the
other is an AR object. But, shouldn't it return the mock property?
There's just something elemental about Rspec I still don't get.

  describe "responding to GET new" do

    it "should expose a new property as @property" do
      @account = mock_model(Account)
      @account.should_receive(:properties)
      @property = mock_model(Property, :new_record? => false, :errors =>
[])
      @account.properties.should_receive(:build).and_return(@property)
      get :new
      assigns[:property].should == @property

  def new
    @property = @account.properties.build

    respond_to do |format|
      format.html # new.html.erb
      format.xml  { render :xml => @property }

'PropertiesController responding to GET new should expose a new property
as @property' FAILED
expected: #<Property:0x1191b84 @name="Property_1002">,
     got: #<Property id: nil, name: nil, address: nil, city: nil, state:
nil, zip: nil, uasap: nil, tax_number: nil, rent_due: nil, units_count:
0, issues_count: 0, account_id: 1, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil>
(using ==)