[rspec-users] [OT] Silver Bullets (was Object Mother vs Test Data Builder)

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Sun Feb 8 13:31:52 EST 2009

David Chelimsky wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Nick Hoffman <nick at deadorange.com> wrote:

>>> I made it up. I was about to write HTH, but I was sure it did not
>>> help, hence IASTDH - inconsistent though - IA for I am, but D for
>>> didn't, so it should either be ISTDH or IASTDNH.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> David
>>>
>> Hah! Actually, it was helpful. I was wondering if there's a clear-cut rule
>> that people follow for dealing with edge cases, and you said "do what works
>> for your situation". While some people may not appreciate that answer, it's
>> "correct", and probably the best thing to do, because each team is
>> different.
>>

> I think I have a new slogan:
>
> Silver Bullets Kill
>
> WDYT?

I like it!

On a related note I recently came across a quote from Linving Zen[1]
that instantly made me think of "best practices".  Just like a silver
bullet a "best practice" dogmatically stuck to can stifle innovation and
can cause unneeded pain.  In the end context is king.. but enough of my
yammering, here is the quote:

"No one can define them or draw up a system around them. That is where
we should exercise our judgment....Use depends for each one of us on the
place and circumstances. If we were to codify the laws concerning it
they might soon become a great bondage for us."

Isn't that great!?  So how about this for a motto:

Best Practices as laws lead to bondage.

FYI, I came across this quote on the Presentation Zen[2] site.  If you
are going to be giving a presentation I highly recommend you check this
site out.

-Ben

1. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802131360/
2.http://www.presentationzen.com/presentationzen/2005/09/whats_good_powe/comments/page/3/