[rspec-users] Cucumber/Webrat fails to find fields when run after specs

Christopher Bailey chris at cobaltedge.com
Wed Feb 4 19:43:16 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Christopher Bailey <chris at cobaltedge.com>
> wrote:
> > I've been battling the strangest behavior, and hoping someone can shed
> some
> > light...
> > I am using RSpec for MVC tests, and then Cucumber for stories/features.
> > am new to Cucumber, and recently finished converting our RSpec Story
> Runner
> > suite to it.  What I'm seeing is that if I clean the database (e.g. rake
> > db:reset), then run all my specs, then run the features, Webrat fails to
> > find various fields on form pages.  If I run them in the reverse order,
> with
>
> Use puts response.body in the failing step definitions to see the html

I'll do that (can't at the moment, but will next go-around).

> > features first, then specs, often times various specs fail (seems
> somewhat
> > random and odd in what may fail).
>
> Sounds like you have residual data in your test database. Do you have
> transactions turned on for both rspec and cucumber?
> Do your features rely on specific data being in the database before
> the run? How do you get it in there?

I start with a clean DB, then run the specs.  At the end, data is left in
there.  I am running transactional RSpec specs as far as I know, although
maybe there's something explicit I need to do?  I thought they were on by
default.  I've noticed that data gets leftover between tests a lot.  I see
that I have transactional fixtures enabled (I don't use any fixtures though
- all my data is created by my own factory methods/generators which are
either run in before methods or in the actual spec case).  I have Cucumber
transactional turned on via this line in env.rb:

Cucumber::Rails.use_transactional_fixtures

No features rely on any pre-existing data.

> Aslak
>
> > I believe that if I clean the database between each, that things work.  I
> > did not previously have to do that with story runner.  But, also, what
> I'm
> > finding is that I can't seem to run rake db:reset twice in the same rake
> > task (due to Rake's usual not allowing that), so this makes setting up a
> > rake task for CruiseControl.rb hard, as it won't reset the DB a second
> time.
> >  I could probably just run it as a shell command, but that seems like a
> > terrible hack.
> > I'm running into this both on MacOS X, and on my CI server which is
> Ubuntu
> > 8.04 running CruiseControl.rb
> > (from git://github.com/benburkert/cruisecontrolrb.git).  Has anyone else
> > seen this kind of thing, any ideas?  My versions:
> > ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [universal-darwin9.0]
> > rails (2.2.2)
> > rspec (1.1.11)
> > rspec-rails (1.1.11)
> > aslakhellesoy-cucumber (0.1.99.19)