[rspec-users] Cucumber/Webrat fails to find fields when run after specs

Christopher Bailey chris at cobaltedge.com
Wed Feb 4 13:21:17 EST 2009

I've been battling the strangest behavior, and hoping someone can shed some
I am using RSpec for MVC tests, and then Cucumber for stories/features.  I
am new to Cucumber, and recently finished converting our RSpec Story Runner
suite to it.  What I'm seeing is that if I clean the database (e.g. rake
db:reset), then run all my specs, then run the features, Webrat fails to
find various fields on form pages.  If I run them in the reverse order, with
features first, then specs, often times various specs fail (seems somewhat
random and odd in what may fail).

I believe that if I clean the database between each, that things work.  I
did not previously have to do that with story runner.  But, also, what I'm
finding is that I can't seem to run rake db:reset twice in the same rake
task (due to Rake's usual not allowing that), so this makes setting up a
rake task for CruiseControl.rb hard, as it won't reset the DB a second time.
 I could probably just run it as a shell command, but that seems like a
terrible hack.

I'm running into this both on MacOS X, and on my CI server which is Ubuntu
8.04 running CruiseControl.rb (from git://
github.com/benburkert/cruisecontrolrb.git).  Has anyone else seen this kind
of thing, any ideas?  My versions:

ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [universal-darwin9.0]
rails (2.2.2)
rspec (1.1.11)
rspec-rails (1.1.11)
aslakhellesoy-cucumber (