[rspec-users] Rcov - Specifying rake tasks

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Feb 3 15:57:26 EST 2009

I am having a good deal of trouble grappling with how rake tasks are
processed. In my rcov.rake file I have this:

desc "Rcov code coverage reports"

require 'rcov/rcovtask'
require 'spec/rake/spectask'
require 'cucumber/rake/task'

#task  :rcov =>  "rcov:complete"

namespace :rcov do

  Cucumber::Rake::Task.new(:cucumber) do |t|
    puts "Why am I in the cucumber task?

  Spec::Rake::SpecTask.new(:rspec) do |t|
    puts "Why am I in the rspec task?

  Rcov::RcovTask.new(:testunit) do |t|
    puts "Why am I in the rspec task?

  Rcov::RcovTask.new(:complete) do
    puts "What the hell am I doing here?"

When I run rake rcov:cucumber I see this:

Why am I in the cucumber task?
Why am I in the rspec task?
Why am I in the testunit task?
What the hell am I doing here?

This indicates that the entire rake task is processed regardless of the
argument given, which to me makes no sense at all.  Can somebody explain
why I am observing this behaviour?