[rspec-users] RSpec wire protocol Was:Re: describe "RSpec's documentation" do

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Dec 11 09:03:44 EST 2009

On 9 Dec 2009, at 00:09, Ed Howland wrote:

> Matt,
>
> I was facinated to read the email thread on Cuke's wire protoccol.
> You guys collaborated well.
>
> I have been working on my own to develop a similar protocol for
> RSpec. It is totally external to RSpec right now and very primitive.
>
> Whereas with Cucumber, the step definitions are run on some other
> language's server, my protocol executes all the code in Ruby in the
> "it" blocks and proxies objects and method calls to a server.
> Currently the protocol is CGIish+XML. The current server is PHP but
> could be anything like .Net.
>
> In the next iteration, I plan to use REST+JSON sort of like CounchDB
> or CounchREST. With REST you get all the error checking/responses
> with all the simplicity of the existing HTTP protocol, My first
> version used ActiveResource but there are other REST clients for
> Ruby, And JSON you already know.
>
> It seemed to me that part of your discussion revolved around
> encoding the protocol in JSON or externally. Did you consider REST.
> Did you reject it because of performance?

Yes we did, briefly - probably before the discussion went online on
the lighthouse ticket. I think there were a couple of reasons why not
REST:
(1) simplicity - we wanted the wire server to be as low-tech as
possible so it would be easy and lightweight to implement on any
platform (think Cuke4EmbeddedDevice). Everyone's got a TCP stack but
not everyone's got a simple web server like sinatra - I'm not even
sure there's an especially simple one for .NET
(2) flexibility - as the protocol has emerged, it's become clear that
the relationship is pretty much client / server, but when we first
started we weren't sure how much chatter would need to go back &
forth. Obviously a REST server can't start making requests back to a
client (unless that client also starts offering a web server), but if
you've got two peers talking over a socket you can have two-way comms.

> If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested.

If you're using your protocol to effectively get remote control over
objects, have you considered writing something to support DRB[1] on
the server side? Otherwise you could also look at SLIM[2], which is
the protocol Fitnesse uses in much the same way as Cucumber uses the
wire protocol. We did consider using slim in Cucumber - it's widely
supported with server implementations on many platforms, but since
SLIM has much more flexibility that we needed, we decided to keep
things simple.

> Should we :
> o continue to use web proxies for objects and method calls?
> o -or- switch to running the matchers (should ==, etc.) over the
> wire protocol, more like cucumber?

I'm not really clear what the goal of your app is, but to go more into
line with what cucumber's doing, I think what you'd do would be to
allow RSpec to remotely invoke entire examples ("it blocks") remotely.
You could then write those examples entirely in the native language.

> Thanks and great work,
> Ed
> BTW, anyone working on a Cuke4PHP?

That's the first time I've heard anyone even suggest it :) I'd be
happy to collaborate with someone if they wanted some help with that.

[1]http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/introduction.html
[2]http://fitnesse.org/FitNesse.UserGuide.SliM