[rspec-users] [rspec-rails] spec vs. autospec

Andy Koch andy.koch at pc-doctor.com
Fri Dec 4 15:35:46 EST 2009

Hi All,

any reason why some tests might pass via spec ... and fail from within

I have a rails app using AuthLogic and Declarative Authorization.  I
have tests that create user_sessions and assign roles against which
CRUD rules are tested.

This has bee working just fine.

But this morning I updated the Declarative Auth gem and suddenly
started seeing failing tests.  I immediately blamed DA, or really my
usage of it.  But then I started running the spec files individually
via "spec ..." commands and everything started passing - which was
actually more disturbing for me.

so now I wonder what autospec might be doing that is different from
straight "spec ..." commands?

when I run "rake spec" they fail just like in autospec - there's some
comforting consistency, failing tests notwithstanding.

thanks for any insights