[rspec-users] HTML array problem

Chris Flipse cflipse at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 11:35:59 EST 2009

Your first attempt is the correct way to go about it
   post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score=>{4=>10}

However, note that in your controller, the parameters are stringified /
symbolized.
params["score"]["4"]  will get you 10, but params["score"][4] will get you
nil

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM, itsterry <itsterry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. Apologies if this is an easy one, but I've spent a while
> Googling and trying trial-and-error, and can't find the solution.
>
> I'm trying to spec a controller.
>
> It accepts an HTML array, then processes items matching the id param.
>
> So I'm passing (in meta form)
>
> controller/action/id?thing[thing_id]=value
>
> The controller looks at the id, finds the ActiveRecord object which
> matches id, then looks for the thing with a thing_id matching id and
> processes it
>
> The real example is a little involved, but a simpler example would be
> something like
>
> comments/rate/4?score[4]=10&score[5]=9
>
> so that comment 4 is rated 10, and comment 5 is untouched
>
> In my controller spec I've been trying (for the above easy example)
>
> post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score=>{4=>10}
>
> but my params array doesn't appear to be going through the test
>
> This doesn't do it:
> post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score[4]=>10
>
> Nor this:
> post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score['4']=>10
>
> Nor this:
> post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, "score[4]".to_sym=>10
>
> Any ideas? Have I given enough info? Trying to give relevant details
> without too much extraneous info.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

// anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of
// http://blog.devcaffeine.com/