[rspec-users] HTML array problem

itsterry itsterry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:40:47 EST 2009

Hi all. Apologies if this is an easy one, but I've spent a while
Googling and trying trial-and-error, and can't find the solution.

I'm trying to spec a controller.

It accepts an HTML array, then processes items matching the id param.

So I'm passing (in meta form)

controller/action/id?thing[thing_id]=value

The controller looks at the id, finds the ActiveRecord object which
matches id, then looks for the thing with a thing_id matching id and
processes it

The real example is a little involved, but a simpler example would be
something like

comments/rate/4?score[4]=10&score[5]=9

so that comment 4 is rated 10, and comment 5 is untouched

In my controller spec I've been trying (for the above easy example)

post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score=>{4=>10}

but my params array doesn't appear to be going through the test

This doesn't do it:
post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score[4]=>10

Nor this:
post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, :score['4']=>10

Nor this:
post 'comments/rate', :id=>4, "score[4]".to_sym=>10

Any ideas? Have I given enough info? Trying to give relevant details
without too much extraneous info.

Thanks in advance for any help!