[rspec-users] Is it possible to have autotest running *only* the features not the specs

Jean-Michel Garnier nabble.35r at gishpuppy.com
Wed Apr 29 10:24:39 EDT 2009

I am joining a project which is using Rails 2.0.2, Rspec as a plugin 1.1.4
The problem is specs take 10 minutes to run and I have no time to optimize
them now.

I am adding cucumber features and would like to run them with autotest
(ZenTest 4.0.0).
Is there a way to  have autotest running *only* the features not the specs?
It would save a LOT of time ...

In the past, I think I managed to do it with a /script/autofeatures_only
looking like:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

ENV['AUTOFEATURE'] = 'true' # run only cucumber features
ENV['RSPEC'] = 'false'     # ONLY the features, not the spec! NOT allows
autotest to discover rspec
system((RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /mswin|mingw/ ? 'autotest.bat' : 'autotest'),
*ARGV) ||
  $stderr.puts("Unable to find autotest.  Please install ZenTest or fix your

My rspec/lib/autotest/discover.rb looks like:
Autotest.add_discovery do
  "rspec" if File.directory?('spec') && ENV['RSPEC'] == true

Does anyone have a similar set up with different versions of RSpec? I am
planning to upgrade Rails and RSpec in the coming months.