[rspec-users] [Cucumber] gem missing dependencies

Clifford Heath clifford.heath at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:54:08 EDT 2009

On 28/04/2009, at 7:23 AM, Kero van Gelder wrote:
> Hi list & Clifford,

>>> Looks like installing hoe (which brings in rubyforge and rake)
>>> solved the problem below.
>> I just fixed that:
> Thanks Aslak, that was quick, but...
> I had to try that, and the 0.3.1 release made that very easy.
> Didn't help.
> looks like polyglot is the culprit, from some extra output I created
> from rubygems:
> Clifford, let's take this off-list.

Kero,

Thanks for taking a positive approach to helping me fix Polyglot.
It's a breath of fresh air compared to Aslak's poisonous attitude.
I've never been unwilling to fix it, but I need to be told what the
problem is - not just that there is a problem. Also, I've been away
from any computer for the last five weeks. Since I don't (yet) use
Cucumber, I hadn't diagnosed the cause of the problem. If it's the
hoe dependency, it can be fixed.

Polyglot requires hoe because it's built using "newgem". It's a
nuisance, and I'll be happy to remove it, or make hoe a dev-time
dependency only if possible. I've contacted Dr Nic to ask how to
proceed. In my view, using hoe shouldn't add a runtime dependency.

BTW... why, if polyglot has a hoe dependency, doesn't hoe get
installed when you install cucumber? I'm not saying that the
dependency is a good thing, but shouldn't rubygems install it
anyhow?

Also, I think I'm the only one likely to publish a new Treetop gem.
The forks of Treetop have resulted in no pull requests - they're
just experimental. We have a list of feature requests we're thinking
about, but Treetop is so nice and clean and we don't want to move
forward unless we can keep it that way - we have however recently
applied a github patch.

I can easily remove Polyglot, but not for the sole reason that someone
complains that it causes problems they're unwilling to describe,
diagnose, or help fix. If a complaint comes with a bad attitude, I'll
just
continue to ignore it.

Clifford Heath.