[rspec-users] [cucumber] Where does STDOUT go?

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Mon Apr 27 17:24:05 EDT 2009

James Byrne wrote:
> If one invokes a Ruby script from a cucumber step definition and that
> script contains "puts" statements then where does the output go?  I have
> a script that when run from the command line displays "puts" output in
> the terminal session, but when run from a cucumber step definition
> produces no console output.  It does however produce the expected output
> file in either case.

If you are running the command with the backticks it is simply being
returned to that call.  If you want to see that ouput you could add a
puts.. for example:

puts `some_command`

If you are testing a CLI tool you may want to look how Cucumber's and
RSpec's features capture and use the STDOUT and STDERR.