[rspec-users] About the use of Scenario Outline for validation stuff

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Thu Apr 23 13:22:23 EDT 2009

On 23 Apr 2009, at 17:03, Jérémy FRERE wrote:

> Hi there !
> I was wondering if the way I test the validation of my forms is
> right or not. So here's a little example :
> Imagine you have a form with some validations designed to create
> some object. You want to test it using Scenario Outline and
> Examples. So you fill in the fields using <value>, and press the
> create button. Then you "should see" (using webrat) the <message>
> telling you
> - that the object has been well created
> - that some field isn't well filled
>
> And after that, in the objects list, you "should see" the created
> object in the list
>
> Assuming that the object has been created, you will see it in the
> list BUT if it has NOT been created, you won't. And, in my case, it
> will end in an error
>
> So my questions are :
> - Is it possible, using some trick, to use some conditions inside
> the .feature file ?

Don't forget you don't have to just use the subsitutions for field
values - you can change any of the text in a step. So it's pretty easy
to negate things:

And the VAT "<caption>" <might> be present in the VAT list

Examples:
   | caption | value  |
message                                                     |
might      |
   | Normal  | 19.6   | VAT Normal well
created                                     | should     |
   |         | 19.6   | You are supposed to fill the caption
field                  | should not |
   | Normal  |        | You are supposed to fill the VAT
field                      | should not |
   | Normal  | test   | You are supposed to fill the VAT field with a
numeric value | should not |

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com