[rspec-users] Why RSpec?

Brian Takita brian.takita at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:05:57 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Brian Takita <brian.takita at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You can run test/unit & rspec together already.
>>>
>>> All you need to do is:
>>> require "spec/interop/test"
>>> before your spec definitions.
>>>
>>> Here is an example:
>>> http://gist.github.com/99895
>>>
>>> The shoulda integration did not work, however
>> What do you think of having ExampleGroup.should create an Example?
>
> Aside from the fact that all of the specs for ExampleGroup would start
> freaking out? :)
The gist I posted works. All I needed to do it alias :should, :example.
I suppose this would have major implications on the rspec suite
though, so I can see this not being able to exist with Object#should
in rspec core.

Others can use this technique, if they like, as long as they do not
need to make assertions on an ExampleGroup class instance.

> I'm not sure how to best get around this conflict. "should" means
> something very specific in rspec, and shoulda gives it a different
> meaning.
True. Object#should limits us there. I think the intent and semantics
are similar though (in a nested sort of way).

describe Foo do
  describe "#do_something" do
    should "return true" do
      foo.do_something.should == true

Its like an assertion on the subject of the description. From an
object structure point of view, Example != an assertion, but from a
semantic point of view, we are making an assertion.

Foo#do_something should return true, which means foo.do_something
should == true.