[rspec-users] [Cucumber] Tables

Joseph Wilk joe at josephwilk.net
Tue Apr 21 13:57:55 EDT 2009

aslak hellesoy wrote:
> Being the author of Cucumber, some of you might be surprised that I
> ask this question:
>
> How should I go about to implement a Cucumber feature and step
> definition with the following data?
> http://gist.github.com/99220 (just look at the first file for now)
>
> Imagine I'm opening a restaurant where customers are asked for their
> religion. Based on what they answer, they will be presented with a
> tailored menu. (Apologies in advance if I'm ignorant about what
> different people it).
>
> In Cucumber, there are several ways to put this table in a feature. It
> can be part of a table in a Scenario Outline's Examples section
> (http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/scenario-outlines), or
> it can be sent to a Step as a multiline argument
> (http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/multiline-step-arguments).
>
> In either case, I'm not happy about the feature and step definitions I
> end up with. The Scenario Outline version has annoying duplication. I
> have to duplicate each meat 3 times! This makes it hard to read and
> edit. The multiline step argument version isn't much better. If a menu
> for a religion is wrong I'll only get one error, the error won't tell
> me what's wrong (unless I explicitly craft my error messages in the
> step definition) and max one failure will show (there is only one
> scenario).
>
> There should be a better way to express this kind of tests. But I'm
> not sure how. Is there a smarter way with the current Cucumber? If
> not, how would you *like* to express this sort of problem?

I think the second way is a better way of expressing the problem, the
output/run strategy is the problem.

What you really want is an examples table that is embedded in a step
(different from a step table, maybe by keyword?) that causes the step to
be run multiple times for each of the values. So rather than using
placeholders we embedded a Examples table in the step.

Just my inital thoughts. I'll knock together an example and more ideas
when I get home...

--
Joseph Wilk
http://blog.josephwilk.net