[rspec-users] Controller spec: testing that scope is set

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 08:52:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Michael Schuerig <michael at schuerig.de> wrote:
> On Monday 20 April 2009, Zach Dennis wrote:
>> > I don't agress. Both classes have distinct, although related
>> > purposes. RequestCondition implements the translation from request
>> > parameters to #find-options. QueryScope(Builder) fits it in with
>> > ActionController and adds syntactic sugar. The former is easy to
>> > spec, for the latter, I've been to lazy to figure out a good way.
>>
>> I'm just suggesting that RequestCondition and QueryScopeBuilder are
>> encapsulated behind RequestToQueryTranslator, so your controller
>> doesn't have to know about both of them. Your controller doesn't
>> actually care about request conditioners and query scope builders. It
>> only cares that it can translate a request to a query so it can be
>> used to set the scope on the model.
>
> That's already the case. Both of these classes are only internally used
> by module QueryScope, which is the only thing a controller sees:

But you're mixing in QueryScope to the controller, it's just like if
you put #query_scope inside of the controller itself. Mixins are a way
to organize and re-use code, but putting code in modules does not
automatically mean you are decoupling parts of your app.

Your controller spec will have to take into account whatever
dependencies your #query_scope method has unless you completely
mock/stub it out, but that seems to work against your goal,

> class PeopleController < ApplicationController
>  include QueryScope
>
>  query_scope :only => :index do
>    # Only allow to filter and order by the
>    # virtual name attribute.
>    # This attribute is mapped onto the real
>    # firstname and lastname attributes.
>    allow     :name
>    condition :name =>
>      "LOWER(firstname || ' ' || lastname) :op LOWER(?)"
>    order     :name => "lastname :dir, firstname :dir"
>  end
>
> Michael.
>
> --
> Michael Schuerig