[rspec-users] But rspec can not be found

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 06:35:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:45 AM, Tom Stuart <tom at experthuman.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been seeing the below problem since RSpec 1.2.1 on any machine that
> doesn't have the RSpec gems installed. 1.2.0 was fine. I'd hoping it would
> magically go away with later versions but it hasn't; does anyone have any
> clues?
>
> --
>
> $ git clone git://github.com/rails/rails testapp/vendor/rails
> $ cd testapp/vendor/rails; git checkout v2.3.2; cd ../../..
>
> $ ruby testapp/vendor/rails/railties/bin/rails testapp
> $ cd testapp
> $ ruby script/generate model comment body:text
> $ rake db:migrate
>
> $ cd vendor/plugins
> $ git clone git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git
> $ cd rspec; git checkout 1.2.4; cd ..
> $ git clone git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails.git
> $ cd rspec-rails; git checkout 1.2.4; cd ..
> $ cd ../..; ruby script/generate rspec
>
> $ rake spec
> (in /Users/tom/testapp)
> rake aborted!

> *  You are trying to run an rspec rake task defined in
> *  /Users/tom/testapp/lib/tasks/rspec.rake,
> *  but rspec can not be found in vendor/gems, vendor/plugins or system gems.

I just cut and pasted this entire set of steps and got this at the end:

$ rake spec
(in /Users/david/projects/ruby/tmp/testapp)
$

There were no specs generated yet, so no output. I then added a couple of steps:

$ script/generate rspec_model thing name:string
$ rake db:migrate
$ rake spec
(in /Users/david/projects/ruby/tmp/testapp)
.

Finished in 0.13164 seconds

1 example, 0 failures

So there is something different about your environment than mine.

What OS? Ruby version? Versions of rspec/rspec-rails installed on the system?