[rspec-users] Rate my code: refactoring from spec

Fernando Perez lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Apr 16 04:35:43 EDT 2009

By the way in Rails I am now finding myself replacing:
update_attributes, create! and their friends with something that looks
like:

new(...)
save!

Then in the spec I stub the save! method so that it doesn't hit the DB,
and then I can easily compare the object attributes if they are as
expected.

Pros:
- specs are lightning fast

Cons:
- data isn't actually inserted in DB, so there is a 0.000001% chance
that the object has bad attributes that would raise an error if it was
actually saved in DB. But that would mean that my spec is false as I
myself set the comparison value.

Is it clever or not to do something like that? Maybe I can use that idea
sometimes, and the other times it is safer to really save the object in
DB?