[rspec-users] Problem seeing and accessing RSpec gems

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 22:43:58 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Sarah Gray <sarahg.gray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff,  always a good idea -- it didn't work in this case, but I've seen it
> before.  I ended up uninstalling my rails gem (and the action* gems) and
> reinstalling; then, reinstalling rspec and rspec-rails.  After that, rspec
> worked without the issues I'd seen before. Don't know why.

I didn't read this in time, but my first thought was going to be to
suggest a "gem env" to find out your gem loading paths.  You never
mentioned what OS you're using, but from the use of /Users for your
homedir and /usr/local/lib/ruby for the gempath, I'm guessing it's a
Mac where you recompiled Ruby yourself.  It's great the Leopard came
with 1.8.6, but the gem environment is a pretty big mess, and adding
your own stuff on top of it (even as innocuously as with a "sudo gem
update --system") can sometimes leave a strange path state.

That's just a fly-by observation based on ways I've set myself on fire
in the past.  If you got it working, you got it working, so it may not
matter until next time.  >8->

Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)