[rspec-users] How to Spec a Web Services Client

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:23:40 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Stephen Eley <sfeley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just had the same challenge with a SOAP client I'm building that
> hits a fairly complicated service.  My solution was to generate a
> dummy SOAP server that accepts the right calls and returns the right
> kinds of dummy answers.

Oh -- I forgot to mention.  I haven't done this yet, but part of my
plan is also to build a switch into my Cucumber env.rb file so that I
can flip between using my dummy server and the real remote Web service
for feature runs.  Hitting their API constantly with tests during my
development cycle is an unfriendly act, but if I never run my
integration tests against it at all, I'm not proving what actually
matters.

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)