[rspec-users] Cucover: coverage-aware 'lazy' cucumber runs

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 18:40:42 EDT 2009

On 10 Apr 2009, at 19:39, Matt Wynne wrote:
> It's feasible I think, and something I'd definitely like to add for
> my own purposes eventually. I think RCov works with JRuby too,
> though I've not tried it myself.

Hmmm - the JRuby process is just running Cucumber, where my Merb code
is all in MRI.  It's the MRI process that needs to run RCov, right?
(I've never used it beyond inspecting its coverage reports.)

> To be honest though, the next feature in my queue is probably to
> make more granular re-runs that work per scenario rather than per
> feature, as it currently does.

Sounds like a good idea!

> The code is really pretty simple so if you want to pull it down and
> take a look maybe we can have a chat directly about it would work. I
> think the problem would be around how the external process gets
> started (and it's coverage observed) but your situation should be
> much easier than a selenium setup where the process could be on a
> remote box.
>
> Just to be clear, are you calling Ruby to call Cucumber to call
> JRuby to call Celerity, as you seem to be suggesting?

Currently what I've got is a rake file running in MRI, that calls
jrake, that runs the Cucumber task in the JRuby process.  The
indirection there just so I can type `rake features`, as Merb won't
(currently) start up in JRuby, which prevents me from typing `jrake
features`.

Part of my env.rb involves some code I wrote that wraps
daemon_controller to start my webapps.  I have a separate "features"
environment that is started on demand, so it's only available when
Cucumber is running.

Cheers
Ashley

--