[rspec-users] Cucover: coverage-aware 'lazy' cucumber runs

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Apr 10 14:39:40 EDT 2009

On 10 Apr 2009, at 18:34, Ashley Moran wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2009, at 02:12, Matt Wynne wrote:
>> If this sounds useful to you, please take a look, try it out, and
>> let me know what you think.
> Hi Matt
> Cucover sounds *very* interesting!  However I fell at the first
> hurdle:
> "Anything that runs out of process will not be covered, and
> therefore cannot trigger a re-run, so if you use Cucumber to drive
> Selenium, for example, you're out of luck."
> As I use Cucumber with Celerity in a separate JRuby process, I can't
> use Cucover.  Is it feasible to make it work cross-process?

It's feasible I think, and something I'd definitely like to add for my
own purposes eventually. I think RCov works with JRuby too, though
I've not tried it myself.

To be honest though, the next feature in my queue is probably to make
more granular re-runs that work per scenario rather than per feature,
as it currently does.

The code is really pretty simple so if you want to pull it down and
take a look maybe we can have a chat directly about it would work. I
think the problem would be around how the external process gets
started (and it's coverage observed) but your situation should be much
easier than a selenium setup where the process could be on a remote box.

Just to be clear, are you calling Ruby to call Cucumber to call JRuby
to call Celerity, as you seem to be suggesting?

Matt Wynne