[rspec-users] Reuse of Cucumber Features

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:30:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2009, at 17:47, Zach Dennis wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Williams, Wesley
>> <Wesley.Williams at sabre.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Matt,
>>>
>>> Hmm, I think this is one way to do it.  I will need to get my customer
>>> to think differently about defining the requirements.  They really like
>>> the tables.
>>
>> Some times table just work best. I love writing scenarios with natural
>> language, but I've hit many cases where the inputs and outputs are
>> best displayed as a table, and it's easier for the customer to gr0k,
>> then to read a short novel.
>>
>> This kind of re-use that you seem to need sounds like a potential
>> feature for Cucumber. A way to utilize an external file to house a
>> table of data. e.g.:
>>
>> Background
>>  Given I have the following set of flights:
>>     | foo | bar | baz |
>>
>> Would become
>>
>> Background
>>   Given I have the following set of flights:
>>   FromFile: flights/scheduleA
>>
>> And then you'd have the flights/scheduleA house:
>>
>>     | foo | bar | baz |
>>
>> Cucumber could dump in the table data it found from the file, and
>> print it out when running the scenarios, and it allows some sets of
>> sample data be re-used easily, in an understandable manner.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> This is a good idea - people do this with Fit (as opposed to Fitnesse) and
> go straight to a spreadsheet for the examples.
>
> I don't see why it needs a new Cucumber feature though - you could easily
> (and more flexibly) write a custom step yourself to load in the data from an
> external file, right?

That's true, but why does everyone need to write their file loading
step/code? It seems like something where flexibility really doesn't
benefit anyone, unless you are doing something unique and special,
which I think is different than simply being able to store example
tables in an external file.

--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com