[rspec-users] Reuse of Cucumber Features

Williams, Wesley Wesley.Williams at sabre.com
Wed Apr 8 05:31:32 EDT 2009

All,

I know this is an older post but I have a similar but different set of
scenarios I need to handle.  I have a set of flight related scheduling
features, such as delay, reschedule, and cancel, each with multiple
scenarios that have an effect on later flights in the schedule (there
are a lot of scenarios actually).  What (I think J) I need is a set of
flights that I can reuse, in a Background: given section, by all of
these features and scenarios, that is defined in a way that is reusable
and visible in each of the feature definitions.

Is this possible?  Is there a better way to do this?

Example:

Feature: Delay flights with down line adjustments

  As a flight scheduler

  I want to delay a flight and have the down line flights adjusted for
different periods

  So I can more quickly update a schedule when events happen

    Background:

      Given I have the following flights scheduled:

        |aircraft | flight number | dept date | dept time |

        | XX1      |  XX0001              | 03Mar2009 |  1000        |

        | XX1      |  XX0002              | 03Mar2009 |  1400        |

        | XX1      |  XX0003              | 03Mar2009 |  2100        |

        | XX1      |  XX0004              | 04Mar2009 | 1000         |

   Scenario:  delay flights with down line adjustments for same dept
date as delayed flight

      When I delay flight XX001 by 5 mins

      Then XX001 departs at 1005

      Then XX002 departs at 1405

      Then XX003 departs at 2105

      Then XX004 departs at 1000

OR

   Scenario:  delay flights with down line adjustments for same dept
date as delayed flight

      When I delay flight XX001 by 5 mins

      Then the scheduled flight should be

        |aircraft | flight number | dept date | dept time |

        | XX1      |  XX0001              | 03Mar2009 |  1005        |

        | XX1      |  XX0002              | 03Mar2009 |  1405        |

        | XX1      |  XX0003              | 03Mar2009 |  2105        |

        | XX1      |  XX0004              | 04Mar2009 | 1000         |

There are many more scenarios.

Is there a nice way to removed the duplication that is here, especially
since I will need a similar set of flights for other scheduling change
scenarios?  Does anyone see a nice way to simplify the scenarios?

Great tool by the way.

Thanks,

Wes

Subject: [rspec-users] Reuse of Cucumber Features

+lots :)

Generally when we have problems with features its because we are trying
do to much at once. So in your case date entry is being complicated by
different contexts, birth and incident. One of the tennents of BDD is to
write the simplest thing you can to make you feature pass. I think
another
one should be "first of all write the simplest scenarios". So taking one
of
your examples

Scenario: Enter Valid Incident
  When I fill incident correctly
  I should recieve a confirmation

Then your incident step can be something like

When /^I fill incident correctly$/ do
  fill_in("incident[name]", :with => ...

If you wanted to specify validation in features you could do a step like

When /^I fill incident correctly except$/ do |field|
  When "I fill in incident correctly"
  fill_in("incident[#{field}]", :with => ''
end

now you can create new features like

 Scenario: Enter Valid Incident with no date
  When I fill incident correctly except date
  I should recieve an error

With a bit more trickery you could have

  When I fill incident correctly except date which is xxx

Taking this approach you can build incrementally quite complex
validation
features whilst stll keeping each scenario simple and focused on one
thing.
Whether you should do this with features or put this detail somewhere
else
is another question entirely.

On another point with dates have you considered international issues.
All
the dates you've given in your example are valid (technically) there
just
not in the format you prefer.  Also consider that the invalidity of
dates
might be context dependant e.g. an incident date in the future, an
appointment in the past.

HTH

Andrew

2008/12/14 Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com