[rspec-users] Pending expectations

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Wed Apr 8 10:59:56 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Sven <svoop at delirium.ch> wrote:

> describe Weather, ".fetch for zipcode" do
>  before(:each) do
>    @weather = Weather.fetch_for_zipcode(98117)
>  end
>  it "should populate zipcode"
>  it "should populate temperature units"
>  it "should populate recorded at"
> end
> With rspec-1.2.0 this will result in 3 failing tests (as fetch_for_zipcode is
> not yet implemented), whereas in the original screencast it caused the three
> expectations to be reported as pending - which makes more sense to me.

No one asked me, but I think the new way is better. If I write code,
it should be correct. If I didn't care if the call to
fetch_for_zipcode was correct, I'd comment it out, mock it out, or
just not write it in the first place. In general, I write before()
after I write the examples, since I usually consider it just a DRY