[rspec-users] Pending expectations

Sven svoop at delirium.ch
Wed Apr 8 05:11:13 EDT 2009

I've noticed that pending expectations fail if the before(:each) code is not
implemented yet. In other words, taking the example code from Peepcode's rspec

describe Weather, ".fetch for zipcode" do

  before(:each) do
    @weather = Weather.fetch_for_zipcode(98117)

  it "should populate zipcode"

  it "should populate temperature units"

  it "should populate recorded at"

With rspec-1.2.0 this will result in 3 failing tests (as fetch_for_zipcode is
not yet implemented), whereas in the original screencast it caused the three
expectations to be reported as pending - which makes more sense to me.

How come?