[rspec-users] rake db:test:prepare and pending migrations

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Apr 7 13:32:20 EDT 2009

I have run into a minor glitch and would like to know what others
think.  I am working on a test/expectation and as part of the
process of debugging I am rolling back db:migrations one step at a
time to discover where the problem was introduced.

My workflow looks like this:

$ cucumber ... feature:xx
fail
$ rake db:rollback
$ rake db:test:prepare
  fail ... you have pending migrations.

Now, it seems to me that while testing one is interested only in
those migrations that have been applied, not which ones are
available.  It is nice to be notified that unapplied migrations
exist but I am not sure that one should be constrained to apply them
to conduct tests.

What do others think?

Canada  L8E 3C3