[rspec-users] spec'ing theme views

jared jared at yourelevation.com
Mon Apr 6 20:06:08 EDT 2009

I'm using the theme support plugin on one of my apps, and I would like
to spec the views for each of my themes, but having a little trouble
and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Themed views are located at /themes/my_theme/views that override the
views in app/views when that theme is active. I created a themes/
my_theme/spec directory, and to spec the file at /themes/my_theme/
views/default/index.html.erb I created the following file at themes/
my_theme/spec/default/index.html.erb_spec.rb

require File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../../../../spec/
spec_helper')

describe "/default/index.html.erb" do
  include DefaultHelper

  it "should render" do
    render

Two major questions here:

1) I'm not sure what to put for the describe parameter since I'm
assuming "/default/index.html.erb" is referencing the app/views
directory

2) Running this spec gives:

NameError in '/default/index.html.erb should render'
undefined local variable or method `render' for
#<ActiveSupport::TestCase::Subclass_1:0x351dc24>
themes/my_theme/spec/default/index.html.erb_spec.rb:11:

any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks!