[rspec-users] a wiki to host Cuke & webrat?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Thu Apr 2 17:01:34 EDT 2009

On 2 Apr 2009, at 18:56, Phlip wrote:

> Would a wiki with these features interest anyone?
>
> - config.yaml points to your projects
> - serve, highlight, edit & run each Cucumber file
> - paint the tested website in into an iframe
> - update the iframe in realtime as the test runs
>
> I have researched how to do each of those items, and I could get
> them working very easily in a lite wiki using only Rails & Ajax.
> They would run on any platform, without special JS or plugins...

This sounds a lot like something I've been thinking off, although I
hadn't got onto the idea of a wiki function for editing - just been
thinking about a HTTP/HTML interface for Cucumber test runs.

I think Aslak had something in mind that was lighter-weight than
Rails, built into Cucumber, though last time I looked at the 0.2 code
it didn't really lend itself to building other UIs than the console
one - the logic for executing the test run is currently quite coupled
up with the console UI stuff I think.

The really nice thing (IMO) would be to avoid having to re-load a
rails env for the SUT every time, so you'd start to get the same
responsive feel as you get when you just code & fix in the browser in
development mode.

Anyway I've been thinking about this quite a bit and I'm definitely
interested in the concept. I've also pondered on the idea of a
'unified' test run API for RSpec and Cucumber so you could use the
same HTML UI / HTTP API to run both sets of tests. In my mind it would
look a bit like the good old JUnit test runner, but obviously sexier.

Matt Wynne
http://beta.songkick.com
http://blog.mattwynne.net