[rspec-users] Running cucumber distributed across hardware

Matt Wynne lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Apr 2 16:14:16 EDT 2009

Bryan Helmkamp wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Scott Taylor
> <mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
>> Let me know if you come up with something - I'd be interested in
>> contributing to such a project.
>
> I started working on a project I'm calling Testjour to solve this at
> http://github.com/brynary/testjour/tree/master .
>
> It's not at all usable for general consumption, but there's a base to
> hack on. Here's what I have working:
>
> * Using Bonjour autodiscovery of available test running slaves
> * Sending feature files to be run and results back and forth over DRb
> * Setting up and tearing down new MySQL databases for each test run to
> avoid conflicts
>
> There's plenty that needs to be done before it's really usable,
> specifically:
>
> * Adding RSync support to transfer code to worker servers
> * Daemonizing/detaching the slave process
> * Adding logging and PID tracking
> * And more in the TODO.txt
>
> If I can get this running well, we're going to purchase Mac Mini build
> nodes for the office. My (ambitious) goal is to cut the story run time
> on a developer machine from 12 minutes down to two.
>
> Example from two Terminal windows:
>
> $ testjour_slave
> Broadcasting: Ready to run tests under name 'bhelmkamp' on port 51814...
>
> Running tests from queue druby://Fozzie.local:51818 on PID 16482
>
> ----------------------
>
> $ testjour_run features/authentication/authenticaton.feature
> ....F_...
>
> 1)
> BOOM
> /Users/bhelmkamp/p/weplay/features/steps/authentication.rb:10:in `When
> "I login"'
> /Users/bhelmkamp/p/weplay/features/authentication/authenticaton.feature:13:in
> `When I login'

I'm resurrecting this thread. This is becoming a major issue for us, and
we have some allocated time coming into play soon to work on a solution.

What's the current state of the art for distributed test runs? Is
anybody doing it for real? As part of the build or before check-in?
Where would be the best place to contribute effort? Testjour looks the
most likely... Any others out there?

cheers,
Matt