[rspec-users] Using the response object in stories

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Sep 30 11:40:03 EDT 2008

I'm sure it's possible, but sorry I don't know how offhand. I'll tell
you what I know and see if it's enough to help you figure it out for

The code you write in cucumber steps (which calls webrat) runs inside
the context of a rails ActionController::Integration::Session. Have a
look at the docs for that - somebody must have done this before for

You can play with this in script/console by calling the 'app' object

$ script/console
 > app.post "/session", :username => 'matt', :password => 'secret'

If you want it to behave just like in your steps, require 'webrat' so
that the ActionController::Integration::Session class is monkey-
patched with the webrat goodness.