[rspec-users] Best way to determine if RSpec is loaded?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:28:41 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been using the Twitter gem, but I discovered it loads ActiveSupport,
> which meddles with Kernel#require and generally causes me confusion and
> pain.  I don't need Twitter loaded for my specs, currently I'm doing this:
>
>  require 'twitter' unless Object.const_defined?(:Spec)
>
> Is there a better way?

Depends on where that is. If it's in a high level conf file, then it's
probably the best you can do. If it's lower down, you *could* set up
an ENV variable instead and use that as your conditional. Have it
default to true, but have your spec config set it to false. Still
kinda ugly :)

> This got me thinking... in general, should it matter whether you load the
> whole app and dependent libraries for specs?  Is a spec any less isolated if
> you load the whole app vs just the class the spec relates to?

In theory it should be fine, but when you're running a suite of
examples you're going to eventually want to load up everything in the
app, no?

> The one advantage I know of is if the whole app is available, you can
> mock(My::Class) and it'll tell you if you're mocking something that doesn't
> exist.  That's good, right?

RSpec's mocks don't do that (tell you when a mocked method doesn't
really exist). Are you using a mocking frawework that does?