[rspec-users] rspec-ui overlap with cucumber?

Joseph Wilk joesniff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 05:50:10 EDT 2008

Priit Tamboom wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using cucumber + selenium and I love it. However I'm looking to
> add some methods (example: click_and_wait etc) to the lib. Therefore
> looked around a bit and I got two questions:
>
> Firstly about rspec-ui, I'm a little confused, does rspec-ui overlap
> with its propose with webrat with cucumber or I'm missing a point?

Rspec-UI is just a set of helpers and startup scripts for using browser
based testing frameworks (such as Selenium or Watir) in Rspec. Webrat is
a Acceptance testing tool which simulates the browser in memory (rather
than running through a real browser).

The current rspec-ui project was setup before stories or features so the
project was focused on interacting with the browser in specs (Which we
don't do now).

So Rspec-UI while it still has some useful helpers is rather out of date
with Rspecs current directions.

> Secondly, are there any plans to "officially" support selenium along
> with webrat? (or perphaps cucumber project is just waiting someone
> with such needs to stand up go for it.)

Interestingly Webrat can drive Selenium:

http://github.com/brynary/webrat/tree/master/selenium_spike.rb

It still however cannot do all the JavaScript magic and complex UI
interactions that selenium can do.

--
Joseph Wilk
http://www.joesniff.co.uk