[rspec-users] RSpec makes me want to write better code

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Sat Sep 27 20:21:12 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Ashley Moran <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
> wrote:

> The thing is, with a full suite of stories (that work through the public
> interface) your *entire app* is an implementation detail.

Yep. I would go further and say that, at the end of the day, the only
interface that matters is the user interface. If a user sees (no matter how
indirectly) the same behavior, it doesn't matter whether there's a database
on the other end or a herd of monkeys typing randomly into terminals.

Given that (the primacy of user experience), the database can be of immense
importance to the app - far more than just a means of saving state so you
don't have to type everything in again each time you log in to the
application. It doesn't matter if you've behavior-driven your development to
the nth degree if a report isn't available in an acceptable amount of time.
Maybe for 50% of web apps (SWAG), you never need to think about this. But
for apps that deal with millions of rows, the database (and the queries
against it) may be the single most important "implementation detail" there