[rspec-users] Why no rspec-rails gem?

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Sat Sep 27 16:11:50 EDT 2008

Tim Harper wrote:
> I was getting a little tired of adding 2 plugins every time I create a
> new rails project, so I just built an rspec-rails gemspec, and it
> works perfectly well.  Does anybody know why there isn't a public
> rspec-rails gem?
> Tim

Hey Tim,
I actually added a 'gem' task to the rspec-rails project a while ago..
It was soon deprecated in favor of using Hoe however.  Either way though
rspec-rails on github allows you to build the gem yourself using rake
and install it locally.  I think the reason for not making it an
official gem is that it really meant to be a rails plugin and the fact
that it is usually a good idea to freeze both rspec and rspec-rails in
your app to avoid dependency problems between teams and projects.  I
suppose with the new rails gem management feature those  reasons are
somewhat mitigated...  I think it would be a good idea to make the
rspec-rails available as a gem as well because I have needed it as a gem
in the past for merb apps. (You can reuse some of the AR specific
helpers in other non-rails AR projects.)  So +1 on making it a public
gem (at least just on github.)