[rspec-users] DRY up story

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 18:57:24 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarrification of your intent for the comment.  After reading
> the linked threads I have the following questions/comments:
>
> 1) All the responses to sharing story content get "use ruby" as the
> response.
> 2( I understand you appear to find this adequate.  I do not.
> 3) Should I open a new ticket for my suggestion or just add to the existing
> ticket?

That ticket (http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tickets/3)
is fine. The thing that Aslak is already planning on doesn't really
address aggregating steps written in "scenario language".

> What I would like to see is something like a "feature" that is just for
> reuse.  The current scenario and feature in cucumber combine 2 concepts: the
> definition of a scenario/feature and the execution of a scenario/feature.
>  This is like being unable to create a function without calling it
> immediately in place.  While I appreciate for the top level of control this
> is convenient and natural for the reader.  It largely prevents reuse.  I
> would like a new keyword that just defines a sequence of steps as one step.
>  I want step definitions in the story language.
>
> StepGiven: Log in as admin
>        Given: I am registered as admin, David, secret
>        When I log in with David, secret
>        Then I should see "Welcome David"
>        And I should see a link to "Manage Content"
>
> Scenario: Admin clicks on "Manage Content"
>        Given Log in as admin
>        When I click on "Manage Content"
>        Then I should see a link to "Go back to menu"
>
> This would only execute the scenario once, unlike GivenScenario.  You can
> place StepGiven, and StepWhen, and StepThen in any file and they only define
> steps that can be used by other content.  They can reference steps created
> in either ruby or story language.  You can choose to present the nested
> steps or not.  In HTML output it could be expanded and collapsed.  In text
> output there could be an option to limit output nesting depth.
>
> To make this fully functional there should be a Require: that allows files
> with step definitions to be required, solving most of your shared content
> objections for file management.  Content can be required and need not be
> executed unless so desired and referenced by a scenario.
>
> It would require the title for the Steps to be regex expressions and
> variables dealt with in stories I guess.  But, when presenting to customers
> having shared content is important for validation of the specifications.
>  For acceptance testing one level may be enough, but for specifications
> there needs to be nesting and shared content that can be verified by the
> customer or their non-programmer representative or domain experts.  For
> reference the project I hope to use this on is expected to be 50-100
> technical people.  We are going to really need readable specs for business
> logic, UI, and so on.
>
> What do you think?

I'm not comfortable with the idea of stripping out the Thens or adding
constructs like Require to features. Dependencies are a code concept
and I think that stating dependencies in a feature would be more
confusing that clarifying.

I do appreciate the goal, however, of being able to express "macros"
in "scenario" language. What I'd propose is that we add a macros
directory in which we'd have macro definition files that are just like
the ruby step definition files. So while you could define such a macro
in a ruby file like this (once Aslak implements it):

Given "I am logged in as admin" do
  Given "I am registered as admin, David, secret"
  When "I log in with David, secret"
end

... you'd also be able to do it in a macro file like this (macro is
just a suggestion, feel free to counter):

Macros:
  Given: I am logged in as admin
    Given I am registered as admin, David, secret
    When I log in with David, secret

WDYT about that? Now you could use ruby or "scenario language" to say:

Scenario: admin can manage content
  Given I am logged in as admin
  Then I should see I should see a link to "Manage Content"

Although, now that I see this, I don't like the fact that the Given
includes a When (an action). I think I'd rather see this expressed
this way:

Macros:
  When: I log in as admin
    Given I am registered as admin, David, secret
    When I log in with David, secret

Scenario: admin can manage content
  When I log in as admin
  Then I should see I should see a link to "Manage Content"

Then the question becomes whether the output should "explode" the
macro for the reader. I think it would be useful sometimes, and
detrimental other times.

I guess, in the end, I might never use this feature myself, even if it
was added. I find the currently available tools much simpler.

Any other thoughts on this?

David