[rspec-users] BDD / cucumber thought - chaining 'Then' steps with Which

Josh Chisholm joshuachisholm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:59:43 EDT 2008

Stories without shared state feel clunky to me, because we would never speak
that way.

I also had a similar urge, don't know if it's a "programmer" urge:
Given a user
With the name 'josh'
And the password 'sesame'

...so I don't end up with an explosion of steps for 'a user with x', 'a user
with y', 'a user with x and y' .

So there are named things, but we also often want to refer to the anonymous
"last mentioned thing" like we do in speech. So I end up doing things like
this sometimes:

Given /a user/ do
  shared_state["he"] = shared_state["she"] = shared_state["it"] = User.new
end

...is that bad?

Cheers,

Josh