[rspec-users] DRY up story

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 11:52:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:
> The problem I have with this reasoning is that the point of plain text
> stories is to get more stakeholder involvement.  Being able to express
> shared content in plain text allows the non-programmer reader to verify more
> details (for example UI interactions within a high level story).  I would
> like to be able to express the high level intent of the scenario and then
> (still in readable english like text) describe the UI interactions for each
> step, or the business logic details, or what ever should be verified by the
> customer to be correct about the details.  Saying "you can always use ruby"
> assumes the audience is programmers.

I think you misunderstand what I wrote. I made no such assumption. I
said very specifically that this was audience dependent and that if
you're audience is customers you can look at it one way, but if it's
just developers you can use the Ruby tools. I can see why you might be
confused by "If you're a developer" rather than "if your audience is
all developers," but that was the intent.

In terms of ways of sharing content, there is some interesting
discussion going on around Cucumber, which will replace Story Runner.
Have a look at these:

http://blog.davidchelimsky.net/2008/9/22/cucumber
http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tickets/3

Please feel free to join the conversation there, or on this list.

Cheers,
David