[rspec-users] Running cucumber distributed across hardware

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Wed Sep 24 10:20:06 EDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 1:31 AM, Bryan Helmkamp wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Scott Taylor
> <mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
>> Let me know if you come up with something - I'd be interested in
>> contributing to such a project.
>
> I started working on a project I'm calling Testjour to solve this at
> http://github.com/brynary/testjour/tree/master .
>
> It's not at all usable for general consumption, but there's a base to
> hack on. Here's what I have working:
>
> * Using Bonjour autodiscovery of available test running slaves
> * Sending feature files to be run and results back and forth over DRb
> * Setting up and tearing down new MySQL databases for each test run to
> avoid conflicts

Sweet!  These are the bare-bones already.

> There's plenty that needs to be done before it's really usable,
> specifically:
>
> * Adding RSync support to transfer code to worker servers
> * Daemonizing/detaching the slave process
> * Adding logging and PID tracking
> * And more in the TODO.txt
> \

The hard part is always dealing with concurrency - it'd be nice if you
could you other computers in the office which currently running specs
to utilize their spare processes.  And it would be nice to get
reporting - if a slave goes down, can you redistribute the steps to a
new slave dynamically?

Good to hear about this.  Will look into it today.

Scott