[rspec-users] Running cucumber distributed across hardware

Bryan Helmkamp lists at brynary.com
Wed Sep 24 01:31:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Scott Taylor
<mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
> Let me know if you come up with something - I'd be interested in
> contributing to such a project.

I started working on a project I'm calling Testjour to solve this at
http://github.com/brynary/testjour/tree/master .

It's not at all usable for general consumption, but there's a base to
hack on. Here's what I have working:

* Using Bonjour autodiscovery of available test running slaves
* Sending feature files to be run and results back and forth over DRb
* Setting up and tearing down new MySQL databases for each test run to
avoid conflicts

There's plenty that needs to be done before it's really usable, specifically:

* Adding RSync support to transfer code to worker servers
* Daemonizing/detaching the slave process
* Adding logging and PID tracking
* And more in the TODO.txt

If I can get this running well, we're going to purchase Mac Mini build
nodes for the office. My (ambitious) goal is to cut the story run time
on a developer machine from 12 minutes down to two.

Example from two Terminal windows:

$ testjour_slave
Broadcasting: Ready to run tests under name 'bhelmkamp' on port 51814...

Running tests from queue druby://Fozzie.local:51818 on PID 16482

$ testjour_run features/authentication/authenticaton.feature

/Users/bhelmkamp/p/weplay/features/steps/authentication.rb:10:in `When
"I login"'
`When I login'

Bryan Helmkamp
http://brynary.com -- My blog