[rspec-users] Separating black sheep examples from the rest

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Sep 23 11:02:30 EDT 2008

So we've got a pretty decent number of specs now, and despite my best
efforts, AR is just forcing us down the path of having to use
database interaction for some of the model specs.

It's starting to get tiring to run all the specs now, which is making
me sad, and making me worry about how things are going to be in a few
months from now.

I'd like to somehow be able to systematically mark the slow example
groups as being 'impure' and thus be able to choose to mostly ignore
them during my regular TDD cycle, just running them every so often as
a regression.

I'm thinking something like this:

describe "when there are ten users in the database", :slow => true do

What do you think? How are other people solving this problem? Any
tips / thoughts on how I could implement this?

cheers,
Matt
----
http://blog.mattwynne.net