[rspec-users] plans for cucumber

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 10:33:15 EDT 2008

On 23 Sep 2008, at 13:44, David Chelimsky wrote:

> What I think *would* make sense is to offer up some
> configuration/mapping scheme that allows you to manage this in a
> number of different ways.
> For example, we could add something like autotest uses - if a
> .cucumber file exists it gets loaded before anything else, and it can
> be used to describe mappings as autotest does:
> Autotest.add_hook :initialize do |at|
>  at.add_mapping %r%features/(.*).feature% do |filename, match|
>    at.files_matching %r%features/#{match}.rb
>  end
> end
> Something along those lines could help satisfy everyone's needs, no?

Hi David

I think some sort of feature->step file matching would be good.

Kyle's system[1] of "stories/stories/feature/topic.story" expanding to
"feature, topic, feature/topic" works well as a default I think.  (I
just like the way the story command works, I guess I'm kinda hoping
the cucumber tool will work as a drop-in replacement.)

> I see where you're coming from in terms of visibility. I tend to use
> something like this:
> features/
>  reservations/
>  schedules/
>  steps/
>  supplies/
>  support/
> Admittedly, steps and support are not like reservations, schedules and
> supplies, but this has worked just fine for me so far.

Doesn't seem a huge leap to go to

Although I agree, it shouldn't be forced on anyone.

Maybe it's worth doing a quick survey of everyone here that uses
classic/cucumber stories - how *do* you structure your story/feature

[1] http://github.com/pd/story/tree/master