[rspec-users] plans for cucumber

Brandon Keepers brandon at opensoul.org
Tue Sep 23 08:07:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:52 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Let's make this official. We're planning to replace the RSpec Story
> Runner with Cucumber. The rspec-1.1.5 release will still include the
> Story Runner (several fixes since the last release). So if you're not
> already using stories and you want to start, start with cucumber
> (http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber).

This is good news.

> Feel free to respond with questions/concerns (praise is welcome too!).
> We're really excited about Cucumber and all the benefits it brings
> (see http://blog.davidchelimsky.net/2008/9/22/cucumber), and we want
> to make the transition as easy as we can for the pioneers among you
> who are already using stories.

This fits into the praise category…

I tried using stories many times, but was never happy with them.  They
always felt like too much work, too clunky, and not quite complete.

I finally looked into cucumber last week and immediately loved it.  Within a
couple hours I had several features written for an existing application. By
the end of the next day, our whole team was writing cucumber features, and
enjoying it!  Cucumber seems to have brought back an excitement to testing
that I haven't felt for a while (since my first few weeks with RSpec).

As aways, good work!

Brandon